The Grainger market basks in the heart of the north east English city of Newcastle. Listed as a Grade 1 market the historical monument was constructed in 1835 by John Dobson. Grainger market is located on the Grainger Street close to the popular Grey’s monument.
A short walk from the monument metro station and also the Haymarket and monument bus stations, the market is one of the busiest places in town. It was divided into two parts: the eastern section which was a meat market laid out in a series of aisles, and the western section which was a vegetable market constructed as a large open-plan hall. The original uses of the market for meat and vegetables have since changed considerably, although there are still a number of butchers' stalls there.